1. Health

What is the best diet for PCOS?

By April 27, 2009

Every woman’s metabolism is unique. Our bodies process fats, calories and sugar differently. This is true of women with PCOS as well. Many women with PCOS eat a healthy diet and exercise religiously, but still have a problem with weight. Obviously, this is not a simple issue of caloric intake and lack of adequate activity. There is something about the way that their bodies process the food and calories that they consume which makes it difficult for them to maintain a healthy weight. This is incredibly frustrating. Some researchers have theorized that this phenomenon is a result of insulin resistance, which is very common in women with PCOS. Because dieting and weight loss is so difficult, it is not uncommon for women to try many different diet plans leaving them to wonder, what is the best diet for PCOS?
Comments
March 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(1) Emily says:

Yeah. PCOS stinks along the lines of weight loss. There’s a big combo effects of with the way that the hormones interact, etc. that keeps it so difficult. Most doctors I work with and in many of the books and papers I’ve read suggest a diet very similar to that of a diabetic. Recently, there’s been some research suggesting that women with PCOS might have ovaries that are sensitive to insulin which causes them to over-react in hormone production. I wish I remembered which study that was…. But, anyway, what I’ve read suggests that a diabetic-like diet combined with exercise is one of the best diets for a woman with PCOS. Also, along the lines of issues with high testosterone, it’s possible that intake of soy products would be beneficial as high intake of soy has been associated with lower androgens and higher estrogen levels. With exercise, while cardio is important for torching excess calories and removing sugars from the blood stream more rapidly, often women neglect resistance training which builds up muscles which raise a woman’s base metabolic rate (as in a woman with strong muscles will be burning more calories all day long compared to a woman with weaker muscles). So, along the lines of dietary suggestions, I’d read up on diabetic-taylored diet plans (usually diets low in carbs, high in high-fiber veggies, fruits, and whole grains, and high in protein). For exercise, think outside the treadmill and build a routine around muscle-building resistance training and stress-reducing stretching exercises (lower stress levels will help out hormonal imbalances, making weight loss easier). Instead of running for 1 hour straight, aim for a few 10-15 minute jogs throughout the day to keep blood sugar (and insulin levels) lower all day long.

April 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm
(2) Kelly says:

i have PCOS and am nearly symptom free from it. I am also recovering successfully from binge eating disorder. For the last three years i have followed a food plan completely free from sugar, flour and wheat.
I learned how to do this at food addicts anonymous which is a 12 step program for people addicted to sugar, flour and wheat. IT COST ME HARDLY ANYTHING MONEYWISE and if you’re not afraid of commitment and work – it works!
I gave up these addictive foods (or trigger foods that cause cravings and binges). When you completely eliminate sugar, flour and wheat from your diet you go through a mild withdrawal which makes you feel slightly ill for a few days, but if you persevere, using patience, you come to a good place where you don’t have either cravings or binges, which fills me with a great feeling. I found the praise and encouragement of other FAA members wonderful and and essential for progress. That was 3 years ago and I now get a period every month. I have lost 3 stone very gradually.
I also stopped taking Dianette a few years ago. I am grateful I have found the root of my health problems and solved it at its root i.e. the type of food i had been eating.
Being on the FAA food plan also helped me spontaneously recover from an optic nerve inflammation after five weeks of first getting it. I heard another woman on the radio had the same thing and she still has it after two years. she said she drinks alcohol at the weekend which is a very pure form of sugar.
The food plan is not a diet but is a ‘food plan for life’ – taking one day at a time. Some people have stayed on it for decades in the US.
Willpower doesn’t work with food addiction – only abstinence and God.
The website for FAA is http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org
Their recovery program really works and i would like more people to at least know they are there!

April 27, 2012 at 7:04 am
(3) Sara says:

I have Pcos. And i’m under treatment now. But i cant reduce my weight. i completly stopped having sugar and i controlled my carb food. still my weight remains the same. pls give me some suggestions to lose my weight

May 3, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(4) JB says:

Thanks Kelly!! Im going to check out the website you posted. I too have PCOS and have been struggling with my weight.

July 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm
(5) Amy says:

PCOS Diva has new Meal Plans for women with PCOS:
PCOS Diva Meal Plans

October 3, 2012 at 4:47 am
(6) tattoo apprenticeships says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or
something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive
the message home a bit, but other than that, this
is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

November 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm
(7) cynthia says:

I have pcos. And i have lota of trouble loosing weight..ive been ttc for 10years now with no success… i need help but sometimes i just wanna give up :(

April 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm
(8) iglesialapalabraviva.com says:

You made some really good points there. I looked on the web to find out more about the issue and found most individuals will
go along with your views on this web site.

June 28, 2013 at 10:30 am
(9) Bernadette Lueck says:

Check out this website and video.

July 5, 2013 at 3:35 am
(10) Redunovin says:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems
as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening to
read?

July 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm
(11) tattoo says:

The designs are typically symmetrical, one of the reasons why they’re fairly easy to draw. With the evolution of the internet, body art has come a long way. Then again, you can also go for the Marqueson tribal tattoo designs.

July 20, 2013 at 8:27 am
(12) Green Coffee Bean Max says:

I’ve learn several just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you put to create this type of great informative website.